Self Assessment.


Candice bought this at a garage sale last weekend, it's a pamphlet written by the Mormons in the early '70s targeting teen girls on how to behave. It's warns of the dangers of "necking" and the pressure one might get over abstaining from evils like whiskey or coffee. At first, I was giddy with excitement. "They'll be so out of touch! Maybe there will be something in there about not dating "the coloreds"!" My sarcasm pencil was sharpened and ready to work. But as I read through it, I found myself more often than not agreeing with the advice it was giving (nothing about Blacks either, so don't think I'm getting all racialist on you). The language was dated and more than a little hokey, and the ultimate reward for this good behavior isn't something that I'm down with (sorry to all my LDS peeps), but I think I'll hang on to this, I sure as hell don't want my daughter out there necking willy nilly. I've officially lost my edge.

1 comment:

CPB said...

Your whole perspective changes when you realize your little girl is the one that is going to be targeted by characters like BEEZ (love you BEEZ).